Stay Safe in the Storm
Here are a few quick to keep you, your property, and others safe.
- Avoid areas that are subject to flooding
- Do NOT cross flowing water on foot. Even 6 inches of flowing water can cause you to be swept away by strong currents.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Do not drive over a flooded road. Flowing water may hide large holes or areas of washed away roadways. Watch for “Road flooded ahead” & “Road closed ahead” signs and take an alternate route.
- If your car stalls, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Do not “sight-see” in flooded areas. Do not enter blocked off/closed areas.
- Avoid unnecessary travel during times of heavy rain or flooding.
- Check your local city’s website and social media pages for road closure status and tune into your local radio emergency broadcasting station for updates.
- Maintain an emergency kit and plan ahead for any hazard that might impact you, your family, or your property.
- Place sandbags around your property to avert water flow away from your possessions. *Some cities offer free sandbags to residents and business owners, if not seek supplies at hardware stores.
- As a reminder, in case of emergency dial 911.